Saturday, January 31, 2009

Phil Spector's Wall of Sound and Phil Spector's Wall


I got a chance to get back to LA this week and spend a couple of days at Infrasonic Sound Studios where they really do still make records the old fashioned way. Pete over there who runs the mastering side of things seems to be the youngest person on the planet that still masters to vinyl. He has a gorgeous old Neumann lathe, it seems that the interest in records is on the rise. When he first told me this, I got excited, and then he stated that last years highest selling vinyl album was Radiohead's 'In Rainbows' and it mustered 28,000 or so in sales. The upside is the trend of indies releasing in download and vinyl only (no cd). Time for me to get a new cartridge for my Sansui.

The studio is in Alhambra and just around the corner from Phil Spector's Pyrenees Castle which is his converted compound that was once a swanky hotel. I can remember as a kid listening to my parents Righteous Brothers album, and then a decade and a half later learning about Phil Spector's 'Wall of Sound'. It seems that all these years later that things have come full circle, as I have now seen Phil Spector's 'Wall'. Please note actual Tiger Cage just behind fence.
If only Wimberley had a Poquito Mas.

No comments:

What I'm Reading

Followers

What I'm listening to lately

  • Ben Kweller-Changing Horses
  • Trojan Country Reggae Box Set
  • The Grand Archives
  • Sun is Shining- Bob Marley vs Lee Scratch Perry
  • A.C. Newman-Get Guilty
  • Justin Townes Earle-The Good Life
  • Bon Iver-Blood Bank
  • Breathe Owl Breathe-Ghost Glacier
  • Noah and the Whale
  • Conor Oberst
  • Frightened Rabbit-The Midnight Organ Fight

Smitty's Barbecue

Smitty's Barbecue