Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Waiting for Hoffman-Damn the Citations



So it was back to Smitty's with the Floreanis and Hoffman. Very appropriate, as Smitty's is in Lockhart and is the town that Waiting for Guffman was filmed. I was specifically honored to drive one of the matriarchs of the Floreani Clan, the lovely Mrs. Floreani. It's an amazing little town with a gorgeous courthouse, a clock museum, and 2 stunning barbecue joints.

There was an amazing sighting, the likes of which I had not encountered at a barbecue joint or anywhere else for that matter, and that was a future Blue Man.

The place was a hell of alot busier than anticipated, but we somehow managed to muddle through. The only dissapointment was that they were out of the Prime Rib that we were able to check out before the trek to El Regio a week or so back.
We went with sausage, brisket and end-cut porkchops with some slightly under-ripe avacados. It was like a frenzied scene of orgiastic debauchery straight out of Quest for Fire, followed by some bizarre ice cream social which sequed into a diatribe on proper, appropriate and acceptable manners of citation. Mercifully Mike forced himself asleep.

At any rate I was glad that in preparation for the sortie that I forced myself into a grueling 2 hour fast. I may need more in order to make it through Coopers in Llano tomorrow.

3 comments:

tracy said...

Hey, thanks for the taxi service X2and great company. But now I'm ticked that you didn't even MENTION El Pollo Regio to me while I was there.

P.S. Since we don't care about citations, I'm going to steal a copy of that Hoffman photo from you.

Josh said...

I actually tried to talk everyone into it at Smitty's but apparently ya'll haven't built up a tolerance for copious amounts of meat. El Regio is amazing and am sure they coat the stuff with meth.

There's a better pic of Hoffman that I took at the Devil's Backbone that may be up on the flickr.

Great meeting and hanging out with you and Hoffman as well. I desperately need a WSB 3$ Bill(s). Is there a link to Hoffman's work?

tracy said...

I guess I didn't hear the suggestion in my meat drunkenness.

I will work on the $3 and will let you know when I finally get Hoffman's art website up and running.

What I'm Reading

Followers

What I'm listening to lately

  • Ben Kweller-Changing Horses
  • Trojan Country Reggae Box Set
  • The Grand Archives
  • Sun is Shining- Bob Marley vs Lee Scratch Perry
  • A.C. Newman-Get Guilty
  • Justin Townes Earle-The Good Life
  • Bon Iver-Blood Bank
  • Breathe Owl Breathe-Ghost Glacier
  • Noah and the Whale
  • Conor Oberst
  • Frightened Rabbit-The Midnight Organ Fight

Smitty's Barbecue

Smitty's Barbecue